Saturday, June 5, 2010

Finally - i move in

Summer has officially started for Back2Back Mexico. We have groups every week for 8 weeks straight and it's crazy. I loved last summer so much mostly because I loved sharing my love for the orphans we serve with our summer interns. But this summer will be different.

Why?

Because I'm moving into an orphanage tomorrow and I will be in charge of a dorm with 13 little boys ages 2 to 7.

As much as this move feels unexpected and unplanned... it's been my hope and prayer for about 9 months now. This is all I've ever wanted. This is my dream. I'm going to be mom to the same little boys who own my heart.

God has worked all the details out. He's moved mountains and He is pursuing those little boys. God wants to show them love and wants them to feel secure. For whatever reason - out of all the people on the planet... God's calling me to this. I feel so ill-equipped and unprepared. I feel so unworthy of such a calling. I'm scared. I've never been mom to just one child. let alone 13 all at once and IN SPANISH.

I have a car seat in the back seat for my 2 year old David in case I need to run errands and take him with me seeing as I'll have him 24 hours a day and his 3 year old brother Oziel who are too young to go to pre-school yet. Car Seat = INITIATION to motherhood for sure

Oh Lord, how far you have brought me! How you've prepared my heart for the past 2 years to be obsessed with those little boys and to demand nothing but the best for them. God you haven't left them or forgotten them. You come to HEAR them and rescue them and lift them out. God you are so so GOOD. You've heard all of our prayers this past year and half. And you answer. For I know, You are FAITHFUL my God.

I prayed these whole past 9 months for God to bring good care givers for these kids - who would be nurturing and love them and reassure their fragile and shattered hearts of their identity and worth to the King of Kings. God told me a few months ago that I was the answer to this prayer and that I could stop looking for workers. For a while I think I thought this was just metaphorical. Apparently not - I move in tomorrow. For months, I thought I just needed to learn the truth about what work, hours or living conditions I'm "too good for" and what I'm not and if I was willing to move in - that was good enough. Nope. I thought this would be impossible. Nothing is impossible for God.

For how long you ask? I don't know.

I won't be by myself. Some of my favorite interns in the planet will be with me. So don't you worry.

Pray for me.
Pray for my sanity and my ability to communicate in spanish.
Pray that I would be able to reflect the love that God has for those boys in every moment.
Pray that I'd be patient and full of energy.
Pray that David, Oziel, Marcos, Ale, Jose Daniel, Fernando, Alexis, Isreal, Isai, Cesearo, Adrian, Luis, and Jahir would feel wanted and loved and happy.
Pray I can serve these kids in this capacity for as long as necessary.

Get ready for some interesting blog posts. It's only just beginning.

God has been saying to me all day: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." - Joshua 1:9 and I find myself smiling a lot today.

I was freaking out yesterday. Today, I'm excited. Today, I've celebrated what God has been doing and how He has been moving.

As much as I'd love to deny this - I've been created for such a time as this.... such a time as this.

Let's hope I feel the same way NEXT week.

3 comments:

Darrin Jones aka DJ ( and Cheri...) said...

What you are doing is Great! Our daughter did volunteer work in Mexico at an orphanage and that work has made a huge difference in so many lives, especially hers and ours. Please let us know if we can help you in some way. We are not wealthy by U.S. standards but if you need some support, let me know. - DJ

The Lail Family said...

SUCH A TIME AS THIS!!!!! I am praying for you sister!

Hannah said...

Man Caroline, I am so happy that this worked out! I will be praying for you like crazy. If you need anything, call me, and I can come and help you out. Its just a short 15 minute drive. :)

How great is our God? I mean seriously....