Sunday, July 15, 2012

Ice Skating in July

It's summer.  It's usually over 100 degrees outside.  We have visiting mission teams available to take kids from the orphanages we serve on field trips.  On this particular day, we were told that the goal was to take the kids somewhere fun and do a lot of exercise.  So where would you take the kids?  Last week it rained a lot so we decided to go ice skating.  

First, we picked up 4 of my Douglas boys to join us on our field trip with another orphanage called Del Norte.  This meant that my boys had to go with us to the other orphanage to pick up more kids.  My boys were not thrilled about going to another orphanage - think about it - if you had been dropped off at some point in your life at an orphanage by someone like your grandma or your mom or the government and left there - you'd probably have some stress reactions about even visiting another orphanage.  That was the case with my boys.  Some were curious - they wanted to know why there were cribs in this orphanage with babies in the kitchen.  I tried to give them a tour but once they saw the trampoline - they decided my tour was over.  So they jumped for about an hour - laughing and doing flip after flip.



Angel (above) is very athletic.  Clearly.  He can do a back flip and immediately upon landing go straight into a front flip.  Imagine trying to get this particular child to sit still long enough to do his homework.

Eventually, we departed from the other orphanage and set off to go ice skating.  Most of the Del Norte kids were terrified about ice skating because I think about 95% of the kids with us had never been ice skating before.  I think my boys might have been terrified too - but they weren't verbalizing it. 


They stuck to the edge for a while.


So Sammy (left) and I (right) decided to try and help them out.  The boys on their own, fell a lot.  We slid all over the ice.  But everyone, group members, staff, Del Norte kids, our Douglas boys... everyone - could not wipe the smile off their faces.  We had so so much fun!  We pretty much dominated the ice in number but also in pure laughter. 


Guillermo (above) skated for a long long time while putting all of his weight on whoever would loan him a hand.  Most of the afternoon, that person was me. Thus, I'm still sore from this adventure and we went days ago.  


Right after taking the above picture, I fell flat on my back.  My boys will probably tell the story of when Caroline fell flat on her back for the rest of their lives.  I was fine and it made everyone laugh some more. 


On the way home, I was EXHAUSTED!  All 4 of my Douglas boys fell asleep and didn't wake up until I said the word, "popsicle" upon arrival to the Back2Back property.   Believe it or not - here in Mexico they have popsicles with chili powder in them.  My boys love them.  Mango with chili powder.  Yuck!! But my freezer is full of them.  



1 comment:

Rachelle said...

glad you and the boys had fun :)