Sunday, January 31, 2010

An educated, aware CHURCH

So often I think that many of the injustices that exist in our world are never spoken of in a church setting, from the pulpit, in Sunday school classes, in our weekly bible studies, or in our church bulletins. Why is that? I realize that the reality of our world and the truthful horrors that are the daily reality for millions is rather R rated but that shouldn't keep the church from being educated, aware, prayerful, motivated, and in action to do something about it.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1952335,00.html



Mexico's Human Trafficking problem -- http://gvnet.com/humantrafficking/Mexico.htm

Lately, I've been consumed with thoughts on what could God's response be to all the injustices that exist and permeate our planet. God's word is full of responses. Here is just one of many:

Micah 2:1-3, "Woe to those who plan iniquity, to those who plot evil on their beds! At morning's light they carry it out because it is in their power to do it. They covet fields and seize them, and houses and take them. They defraud a man of his home, a fellowman of his inheritance. Therefore, the LORD says: "I am planning disaster against this people, from which you cannot save yourselves. You will no longer walk proudly, for it will be a time of calamity."

We as the Church- the worldwide body of believers, are Christ's hands and feet down here on earth. I want to act like it. Yet I'm consumed with my own daily desires and convince myself that fighting injustice is not my job or responsibility or that I just can't do anything about it even if I wanted to. I'm pretty sure I just gave the perfect description of laziness.

An organization that uses the law to fight: http://www.ijm.org/

Martin Luther King once said, "We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people."

I'm not writing this to make anyone feel condemned or guilty but rather to begin a discussion of sorts on a massive topic that is often ignored in Christian settings. Do we, as those who claim to be Christ followers, have a responsibility here? Or no? What do you think God would say about it?

I find this next statement incredibly interesting and thought provoking: From Dallas Willard's book The Spirit of the Disciplines, "The world can no longer be left to mere diplomats, politicians and business leaders. They have done the best they could, no doubt. But this is an age for spiritual heroes - a time for men and women to be heroic in their faith in spiritual character and power. The greatest danger to the Christian church today is that of pitching its message too low."