Thursday, March 26, 2009

Let it Rain!!


Allow me to take of my "everything is perfect mask" that I typically hide behind:  It is actually rather difficult at times for me to live in a foreign culture away from the comforts of familiarity, feeling completed disconnected with my family and friends, be away from the beach, unable to run on the streets alone, unable to attend church or worship in your first language, and pretty much always being the one who stands out everywhere you go, and feeling like you never have a moment to yourself (I'm not married NOR do i have children yet so I should be able to be alone).  

But moment of truth again yall.... I am just SO BLESSED!! Seriously.  And in the last couple of days this truth has just hit me again and again.  I feel like God is just raining down blessings in my life.  Anybody seen the movie Slumdog Millionaire?  Cause after watching that movie, I feel like the biggest punk for ever thinking that I was "poor."  It's about time I stop comparing my possessions and wealth to those around me - which is usually americans who don't have to question whether they will eat that day or not.  Over half the world's population lives off of no more than $2 a day.  I spend more than $2 before breakfast is over most days.  I can't comprehend $2 a day - can you?  I am just overflowing with opportunities to do and be anything I want to be as an American citizen and I can visit just about any country I want to.  I've always had clean water to drink.  The majority of deaths due to poverty each day are because of unsafe drinking water.  Could you imagine your kid dying because of bad drinking water and there is nothing you could do about it? 

Lately, I can't really seem to believe that I live in Mexico and actually work for Back2Back Ministries.  How in the world did I get here in the first place and get to come on a spring break trip?  How did I even know about intern applications a few years ago? Why did they say yes to my staff application?  I'm just about the luckiest person ever.  I'm trying to let that soak in a bit.... God has done some crazy things in my life to make me a new person and somehow convinced these people to let me work for them.... stunning, unlikely, awesome. 

I've been praying for some friends here in Mexico that are not part of my staff team and within the last few weeks, God answered.  Meeting 2 people who don't work with you who have the possibility of being your friends might seem rather miniscule to the average person but for where I'm at right now - this blessing is like a torrential downpour. 

And yesterday... I was in Texas picking up some donations for our ministry with some other b2b staff and later that night somehow ended up completely surprised in South Padre Island, Texas and got to walk on the beach.  You better believe I was running around and just laughing and smiling and finally just started crying because I was so happy.  I LOVE THE BEACH- talk about being surprised too!  Just the day before I was super jealous that Kristen was on the beach as I talked to her via skype and then it was me looking at the same ocean, smelling the salt, feeling the humidity in the air stick to me.... instant 'cocoa beach' kind of feeling.

Then today... goodness.  It just keeps getting better.  This blessing is for you all too - so get excited.... I got to watch my favorite band LIVE in CONCERT for FREE online!!!!!!  And you can too-- TENTH AVENUE NORTH, Jeremy Camp, Mercy Me, Addison Road, and Hawk Nelson in concert and you can watch each and every concert for the rest of this tour live and for free.  INSANE.  Just go here, check out the tour dates and tune in:  http://www.therockandworshiproadshow.com/rstv.html  

But the greatest... is that while I was and still am totally undeserving of any grace or even a chance, God demonstrates some serious love for me and for you when God gave up his own son to die for us so that we could have a relationship with Him ~ Romans 5:8  God actually wants to be in a relationship with you and you don't have to clean up your life in order to start pursuing him.  Contrary to a somewhat popular view point, you can't earn God's favor by being a "better" person - so quit trying yall.... give up and let God cover you with his grace.  

Psalm 126:3, "The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy."  Amen to that

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post.

cath said...

I loved it too. Your writing is so down to earth and your joy so contagious.