Wednesday, February 19, 2014

SNOW

3 weeks ago it snowed here in Monterrey.  My kids had a real "snow day" and got to throw the first snow balls of their lives.  There was one attempt at a snowman by Arturo.  I woke up and looked out the window to see ice and snow everywhere.  Here in Monterrey if the temperature drops into the 30's they cancel school.  For most Americans, this seems pretty strange but considering that a high percentage of the Mexican population lives below the Mexican poverty line - many don't have access to any form of heat or insulation in their houses or really warm clothing.  Most kids walk about a mile or so to school each day and the elementary school that the majority of my boys attend only has enough electricity to turn on the lights or anything else in only 2 of the school's 7 classrooms at once.  So all that being said - Monterrey's public schools have lots of "snow days" because it's cold but for once there was actual snow and the kids had a blast.

One of my kids had some debt and was trying to find jobs to do to earn money and asked me, "Caroline I want a chore/job - got any ideas?" To which I said, "Gee I don't know... how about you get all the ice off the stairs?"  ---First time in my Floridian life that I've ever had that phrase come out of my mouth.  So he decided to taste it.  

No comments: