Thursday, February 23, 2012

Better than TV

Last week it rained a ton here in Monterrey. When it rains, this usually means that the kids in the orphanages we serve are stuck inside. Makes sense though - your mom probably didn't let you play outside in the rain very often.

So it was my day to take care of the youngest boys dorm at Casa Hogar Douglas and it rained almost the entire day. At one point my boys had been outside for about 40 minutes during a break in the rain so they could run a bit and get rid of some of their energy. It started pouring again and I had to chase down all my boys and force them to come inside out of the rain.

As they came running inside, I asked what movie they wanted to put on the TV. They picked one out. I put it on and then I ran to try to save the clean clothes that had been drying on the clothes lines outside before it got soaked in the rain. I walk back into the dorm and was trying to fold something or clean something and all I heard was a ton of noise coming from where the boys were supposed to be quietly enjoying the movie they had selected. I was super annoyed in all honesty. What was all the talking and chatter about?

Well to my surprise, every single boy had grabbed one of the books from my bag and was reading out loud either to themselves or to each other. What a beautiful excuse for making so much noise that no one can hear the TV! I've known for a long time now that the pre-school aged kids prefer reading stories to the TV but I think that some of the 6 to 9 year old range boys have come to the same conclusion.


Now if I can just train them to wash their hands after playing the mud before they start reading my books... smudge marks of love I guess.

No comments: