Thursday, June 30, 2011

Adrian

Above is my favorite picture of Adrian. It was taken last summer and was probably the first photo I had ever seen of him smiling. A year ago, when I moved into Douglas - Adrian was what I called "the enforcer" of the dorm. He was in charge. If another boy did something that Adrian decided was punishable - he'd just hit the kid. Obviously, I didn't approve of that and spent many weeks trying to prove to Adrian that I was a responsible adult and that I would handle the "discipline" of the dorm. Adrian is another one of my boys who has shown incredible improvements in behavior over the past year. He used to be so angry and violent. He struggled with every transition. But these days, Adrian is actually a really sweet, calm, agreeable and a kind older brother to his younger sibling - Fernando.

These pictures are of Adrian and Fernando laughing themselves sick while watching a video of themselves in one of those "Elf yourself" videos from their Shelter Sponsors.

Adrian has unfairly been given the responsibility of his younger special needs brother - Fernando for many years. He defends and protects his brother with vigor.

Adrian is highly intelligent and a fantastic reader. Adrian is unbelievably athletic and buff. He can walk across a room on his hands and is often seen flexing. When Adrian plays soccer, he will literally throw himself - his whole body - after the ball. He's intense and fierce on the soccer field.

He has been involved in the carpentry classes at Douglas this year and loves it.

This is Adrian celebrating his 9th birthday. We had the most incredible cake and he felt like a rockstar.
With deep emotion I share the following.... I know that being able to go home and live with his family has been the only thing that Adrian has ever wanted. For an orphaned child in an orphanage, what else could they ever want? With all my heart, I cry alongside these kids when they miss their mom. I pray everyday for God to make a way for them to live in a family - whether it's their biological family or a foster family or an adoptive family. Whatever has to happen to make that happen is worth it. All I have ever hoped and prayed for is coming true this month - Adrian and Fernando will be reunited with their mom. They've lived in an orphanage for almost 7 years now. It's about time. I'm so stoked for Adrian and I know that he will transition well to life at home but I'd be lying if I said that I won't miss his handsome face.

For the last couple of years here on staff with Back2Back, I've clung to Psalm 27:13 which says, "I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living." I've prayed over and over again that I'd have the faith to trust and wait on the Lord like it says in the verse following in verse 14, "Wait for the LORD, be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." I've prayed to trust and wait on the Lord that I would see his goodness right now at Douglas. And now I'm seeing it. Adrian gets to go home. If that's not the goodness of the LORD, than I don't know what is. Praise the LORD!

Adrian you are a tough cookie and I'm so proud of the big brother you are. I am so thankful for the ways you love on Fernando and are patient with him. You're smart, handsome and a total sweetheart. You deserve a family and I'm so thankful that you'll get that opportunity in just a few weeks. I know that you know you are a handsome dude - so don't go stealing all the ladies' hearts. God will never leave you or forsake you Adrian - He is your protector. He will execute true justice. Perhaps you'll have a future in law enforcement? Love you tough guy

No comments: