Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Happy 5th Birthday Oziel

"How old are you?!" - I'm 5

So much could be said about this little man. He's spent half of his childhood in 3 different orphanages. He's had more turnover in orphanage caregiver who was responsible for him in these past few years than I probably had with babysitters. But for some reason, God has caused our paths to connect and Oziel has spent almost half of his birthdays by coming to my apartment for the weekend. Actually, last year on his 4th birthday was the first time he asked if he could spend the night at my house and not go back to the orphanage after a play date. It was the first time I ever asked permission and the first time he ever stayed over. This year for his 5th birthday - of course we kept that record going. In the past year, I've spent more time with these boys than I ever could have imagined - Oziel's sibling set actually spends almost every single weekend at my house at this point but we specifically celebrated Oziel's 5th birthday on that particular weekend with ice cream, pizza, swimming, the trampoline, and of course - Monster trucks for his bday.

In the past year, Oziel has learned to count, in kindergarten Oziel knows more letters of the alphabet than some of the first graders at Douglas, knows his colors and is learning to write his name. He has memorized at least 20 books and is a wizard when it comes to puzzles.

One of my proudest moments this past year was the afternoon that he learned to swim in the big pool with his water wings. He's like a little fish these days.

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him." ~ Isaiah 64:4

No comments: