Wednesday, February 9, 2011

8 Words

I'm thrilled to say that the 2nd graders are making some serious progress academically. We work 5 days each week for about 2 to 3 hours each day on homework, reading, math flash cards and other learning games. They still think that my extra practice is like "fun games" and they beg to play them.

Honestly, most days I look at what their teacher asked them to do for homework and then I yell out loud in english about how this is simply punishment for ME because their teacher expects me to fight with them for hours as if I'm plucking teeth to do some of these seemingly pointless assignments. If I'm getting discouraged, clearly they are too.

Jose playing a number "game"

BUT - after 4 weeks, I'm seeing improvements. And yesterday's about knocked me out of my chair.

Mark down the date people - Tuesday Feb. 8, 2011 - FERNANDO READ 8 WORDS to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8 words!! HE IS READING!!! In addition to that, he's really good at math. Last week, after finishing his math homework he yelled really loudly at Betty, "Betty!!! I'm smart!!!!" just in case she had her doubts. At that, both Betty and I died with laughter and joy all on the inside and reassured him that we have known all along that he is smart. I tell him that he is smart after just about each and every math problem he does. His confidence is building substantially.

Fernando actually doing some homework

Isai can now do basic addition and at times - basic subtraction.

At the beginning of January, Israel could read about 20 words per minute and now he's reading over 80 words per minute.

All of them have learned to do 2 digit addition and subtraction and know how to carry and borrow numbers.

Isai actually knows the numbers 1 - 100 now and can recognize most of the letters of the alphabet.

It's a start. It's progress. It's encouraging.

Below are photos from the Happy Meals we treated the kids to from McDonalds to celebrate how hard they have been working on their homework.


My heart was very happy on this day of Happy Meals because it felt sooo normal to take my 7 kids to McDonalds on a Friday night and then eat ice cream cones. They were just like all the other kids at McDonalds. I however am not anything like the other dolled up MOMS at McDonalds. But whatever - I was thrilled and thankful for the opportunity to let them be like other "normal" kids.

No comments: