Sunday, April 25, 2010

What I've been taught

This morning as I went through my bible study which was on the topic of what we strive for in life - achievements, living up to our potential, always wanting to be great and not just good. Beth Moore said that "to live for the greatness of God (not myself) is to live the great life. I came across Mark 10:43-45, "Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Questions flooded into my mind... How often do I go through my life and my day just expecting everyone else to serve ME? I want things done in my way, when I want it, how I want it. What about in my relationships with other people? with my friends? How often do I determine the value of a friendship simply based off what the other person brings to me?

It's all about me it seems.

Then I get defensive. After all, I'm American - that's just what I've been taught. I can't help it right? Or it's not bad or wrong right?

For the past several months, I've been contemplating what being an American has taught me about the world - or more appropriately - what being American has told me I deserve in this world.

Is it even POSSIBLE that what we Americans chalk up as just "how it is" or "normal" or "what I deserve because I earned it" and how we go about living our affluent lives is POSSIBLY contrary to God's biblical framework for how we should live and what standard of living we consider we "need" to be content? Just a question - it is possible that we American Christ followers are confused?

I came across this video yesterday online. Click on it, watch it, and tell me what you think. I'm interested.

My first comment on this video: Interesting that I need to watch the censored version of this. I can't even handle to see a picture of someone else's daily reality.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Caroline,

The funny thing is I had this exact same conversation with a friend just about an hour ago. We were talking about "the get rich quick, have no suffering" gospel that has become so popular. We talked about how people enjoy hearing the gospel but if it takes them out of their comfort zones, they get mad and back away.

It hit me because I live such a comfortable life style here in Mty. I feel like my life revolves around me here...not others. I hate that! That movie was supppppppppper powerful! lets talk about this..its time for a change.

hannah

Jim and Betty said...

I'm afraid to say that the "gospel" that is taught in most of our church's today is not the Gospel at all!

Ellie said...

Our sole purpose in life:

Glorify God and bless man...