Monday, April 19, 2010

A Spiritual Anniversary

Today I flew into Monterrey in much the same way that I did a little over 4 years ago on my first mission trip with Back2Back. I was looking out the window today, deep in thought, when I saw the same mountains that had surprised me 4 years ago. Before I went on that trip, I had NO idea what I'd be doing for a week or where we were going. I followed my college bible study leader to a foreign country and assumed she knew the game plan and it'd all be okay.

The mountains out the airplane window shocked me years ago and as we flew over them because I was expecting maybe a desert and some sombreros or something? Emotions of fear and feelings of confusion came over me. What was I doing? Why was I on that plane? I had a moment of life altering prayer that I will never forget. It was over those same mountains from a plane that I told God I'd listen to whatever He had to say. Initially, I gave God about a 6 day window in which to speak... silly me - putting time limits of the creator of the universe.

But God is always speaking. He always has been speaking. I just finally decided to quit turning a deaf ear to him. Up until that point, I was intellectual about Jesus. I was super "plugged into" the Christian community - weekly bible study, church, campus ministries, retreats, etc. I absorbed a lot but Jesus was not the Lord of my life.

Those same mountains today made me laugh and smile remembering all the obvious steps God directed me through to get me to exactly where I am tonight - living in Monterrey. (no this is still NOT normal to me)

The faces of the sweet children we serve are all over my fridge and the walls of my apartment - and I live here! How insane is that? I almost drove over to see my boys tonight except they would have already been in bed. I'll have to wait till they wake up tomorrow.

"The thief comes to steal, kill and destroy; I have come that they might have life, and have it to the full." --- Jesus

It only seems appropriate to give a huge shout out to the person who brought me here, never gave up on me, always supported me, and never once said any of my questions were stupid - I love you Alex Bryant!

alex in 2006, reigning Taco's Fede Champ

1 comment:

Jaimee said...

While we're at it, thanks for pulling me along a year later. God used that week to prepare me for where He has me now, and I am so thankful for that. And for your encouragement. I love you!