Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Kevin

Kevin when i first met him 2 years ago, age 1

Kevin today at age 3


This post perhaps wont make much sense to anyone.... I'm currently still trying to process through my thoughts and emotions and frustrations and joys and concerns for a little boy named Kevin who lives at one of my favorite children's homes to visit here in Monterrey.  Lately (this whole past month), my heart has just been completely broken over him.  I want so badly to take him home with me.   One of the high lights of my summer was seeing him eat dinner with a fork while sitting on my lap- all BY HIMSELF.  For those of you that know kevin or have seen him at lunch time, you'd know how big of a deal this is and how starkly different that is from his typical lunch time tantrum.   Kevin has special needs and is soon to be tested to determine what kind of autism, if any, he has.  This kid doesn't do too well when his daily routine is interrupted - for example, when we have an american group present to take this home on a field trip or have them on our property for a pool party.  I found him many days this summer, screaming and crying near the little palapa while everyone else was in the pool, frustrated and confused but not at all wanting to go near or in the pool because he's scared of it, simultaneously with a confused american unsuccessfully trying to pick him up and make him happy.   Somehow, he seemed to end up on my lap on those afternoons.  We'd talk and he'd just sit back in my lap and watch the other kids in the pool.    And these days.... when i go to his children's home, he's almost always in my arms- just hugging me.  I'll be honest- I really just want to take him home with me, seriously I've considered attempting to make that legal.  Whenever I leave that children's home, I cry - still, and i live here and can go there whenever i want but I lose it.  I find myself frustrated and broken, crying to God and begging him to tell me why little babies have to grow up parentless and abandoned.  

So would you join me in praying for Kevin and the millions of little babies that grow up in similar situations.... just lost and broken- that they would come to know the love that their heavenly father has for them.  And I'm pretty sure that God's heart hurts more than mine ever will for kids like Kevin.  

May we be His hands and feet to this lost and hurting world so that they could see our good works and give glory to God in heaven

1 comment:

Brooks said...

Hey Caroline it's Brooks. I met you at Barnes and Noble with Amanda... The post makes a lot of sense. Just wanted to let you know. Hope things are good in Monterey!