Friday, February 20, 2009

My Offer to You



ERJ thanks you for dinner Bible Sisters!!!  

A couple of nights ago, I had enough time during the day to bake 24 vanilla cupcakes and 24 chocolate cupcakes and make 2 gigantic bowls of fruit salad thanks to some monetary funds from my Bible study sisters in Cocoa Beach (and i thought about all of you all day as i shopped and chopped and baked- miss you all and I'm so thankful for your support and prayers)  I went to ERJ with Tim (another b2b staffer) to grill steak tacos for the kids.  They told me in spanish that carne asada was "the food of the heavens."  Coming from my nutrition background... i thought long and hard as to what I should cook for them-- what would be healthy?  What food groups do they eat very little of?  I know they are lacking in fruits, vegetables and meat.  So I bought them a ton of steak and decided on fruit salad with a few marshmellows thrown in.  Surprisingly, all of the kids thought the fruit salad was the best thing ever- perhaps even a bigger treat than the cupcakes i brought.  The entire evening spent with the directors and kids was a true blessing for me- awesome fellowship... it felt like a retreat.  I was so filled up when I left.  This children's home is still struggling to make ends meet financially and I plan on going out, I say out because it's an hour's drive one way, to cook for them at least once a month.  The directors are truly amazing, encouraging and joyful people.  And the kids are so well behaved, hard workers at school, and fun.  And sisters.... we cooked so much food that I'm confident they had steak and fruit again for lunch and possibly even dinner the next day.  And you better believe I told them all about all of you in my best spanish.

So here is my offer to anyone who will take it-  If you pay for it, I'll shop for it and cook it.  Any donation of $75 to $115 will buy a nutritionally sound meal for some hungry kids.  Email me if you are interested and I'll give you the details on how to get the money to me (sending it to my staff account with b2b wont work).  

Perhaps the next meal will be something italian or home made pizzas?  I'm not sure.  What should we cook next?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm italian sounds good! i will mention this cooking offer to the fellowship group at school and see if we cant support you for a meal! i am speaking at our club on tuesday and am showing one of beths video segments, so pray that people's hearts are touched! miss you mucho friend! reunite!

big kg.

cath said...

Tell me when you go again. I'd love to help if I can. And I'll pray if not. Love your heart.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about everyone else, but I love cheeseburgers and fries. You can also sneak veggies on burgers pretty easily.

I like to make turkey burgers (less fat, excellent source of protein, taste similar) with maple bacon (yeah, it's fatty but oh so good) and pepperjack cheese on a toasted whole wheat bun. A side of sweet potato fries is always good too.