Thursday, May 24, 2012

As Proud As Can Be

Fewer things in life have made me as proud of anything or anyone as the number of chapter books my 4th graders have been flying through in these past few months.

Today I decided to show each boy how many books he had personally read and finished since January.  Each boy was SO proud of himself when he saw what he had accomplished.  They kept asking me to pull the whole pile back out so they could see how high their stack went. 

Each boy has drastically improved his reading skills this school year from simply reading out loud at least 5 days each week for at least 15 minutes a day.  I'm so proud of them.  I am also honestly a little shocked at how much they manage to get into their books.  They laugh, they read with expression, they ask to keep reading after the required time is over.

Sweet Angel finished the 2nd book in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series just about a week ago and as I had promised, the very next day I drove all over the city of Monterrey until I found the 2nd movie on DVD.  We had our 2nd Diary of a Wimpy Kid party.  And go ahead and call this another commercial or endorsement for those books but the 2nd movie is absolutely hilarious and I think better than the first movie.  Angel asked me to investigate online with the 3rd movie will come out because he's determined to finish another book in the series.  Right now, we are on page 45 and the 3rd movie will be released in August.  I think we'll finish before then. ;o)

These boys have taught me so much about which books and which series' are funny or interesting or worth buying and which ones just aren't.  Thank you to everyone who has ever donated money or books to the Casa Hogar Douglas library.  These boys appreciate you and so do I. 

No comments: