Tuesday, April 5, 2011

King for a Day

Yesterday one of my boys turned 9 years old. He has lived at Casa Hogar Douglas since he was in diapers. He's been through a lot and in the past has been described as an incredibly angry, frustrated, and aggressive child. These days, he is softening up. You see him smile all the time instead of frowning or scowling at you. He is more controlled and gentle and patient with his younger brother.

Living with the boys at Douglas this past summer opened my eyes to sad reality that birthdays for these orphans are probably the worst day of their year instead of the best. They are a reminder that they are thrown into a group, not celebrated as individuals, that their mom or dad didn't make their birthday a priority, that they are not a priority to mom because she didn't visit on their birthday or bring them anything, no one notices it is their birthday, etc, etc. It is an emotionally disturbing day for them. I was shocked once I realized this awful truth.

Since then, I've tried my best to make sure that each of my boys is celebrated like an individual and treated special on the exact calendar day of their birthday whether it is a special movie we watch with snacks or ice cream just for them on their birthday and we sing happy birthday and make them feel special. Every now and then, one of my boy's Shelter Sponsors gets involved in this celebration and witnessing this yesterday warmed my heart because at least for one day - something was right in this messed up situation.

Adrian turned 9 yesterday on April 4th. But about 6 weeks ago, his Shelter Sponsor made sure that he'd be celebrated on his birthday with some gifts and a card so that he wouldn't be forgotten. His mom didn't come. His full-time caregivers hadn't checked the calendar to know that it was even his birthday (I don't blame them - this has happened to me before). But his Shelter Sponsors were right there celebrating him even though they were thousands of miles away through their words on encouragement in a card reminding him that he is loved and important to them and to the Lord.

The day before his birthday, I wrote out a quick check list just to make sure I wouldn't forget anything. When I was done, I looked at it and it hit me that this is the kind of check list a mom would make for her 9 year old. This is what it is supposed to look like. But then I could hear the enemy tell me, "that's excessive. He's an orphan. Why go to all that trouble for just one kid? Don't bother." But that's all lies and I knew it.


We sang to him, celebrated him, let him pick the movie that day, and then we ate the biggest cake ever. For one day... he was happy all day and for just one day he was king of his dorm.

No comments: