Friday, March 25, 2011

My 15 year old scissors

I had a good chuckle this past week in the palapa at Casa Hogar Douglas. I was cutting hair with my sweet $20 hair clippers from walmart for whatever boys needed a hair cut. Since this past summer, my hair cutting skills have gone from like a D+ to more like a B-. What is "cool" here in Mexico to a little boy is a little different than in the states and I'm conforming to this culture despite my distaste for the style. Between Monday and Tuesday I gave 7 boys between the ages of 4 and 13 a haircut and each one was rather different - partly because they wanted different looks and partly because I was experimenting in my methods.

At one point, I decided to shave the sides with my electric clippers and trim the top with just my scissors to keep it a little longer on top and not look so "bald" or "pelon" as they say in spanish. And I started laughing when I realized that my children's scissors that I was using to cut this sweet child's hair were the school scissors that I've had since perhaps 4th grade. My mom never let us buy new school supplies every year because it was a waste of resources if you could just use the same ones over again. Mom - those $1.50 scissors have gone a long way. Some 15 years later they are serving to give orphan boys a hair cut. And believe it or not - after seeing my finished products - there is a line forming from others who think I know what I'm doing.

1 comment:

s said...

Hi Caroline.
I'm Joe from Ontario, Canada. I'm just checking out blogs and I like what you're doing - good for you. And your blog looks great.
Mine is rather mundane, but visit if you feel to. Take care and keep on spreading love and good feelings to others.
Joe